Sunday, April 15, 2007

Mr. Rogers

These are the people in your neighbourhood.

So, The Husband and I have recently moved into a wonderful old house we bought. Took possession March 9. Officially moved in March 27. Fast forward one week, it's Easter. 4-day weekend. Wee-Hoo.

Was outside doing the lawn, washing the deck, yada yada yada.

Met ALL the neighbours. Well, almost all. The ones whose homes back onto ours.

East of us is Shirley. About 75-80. Widowed. Has lived here since the early 50's. A lovely lovely lady. We chat over the fence quite often.

East of Shriley is Eda. Around the same age. No, perhaps early 70's. Widowed. Her MOM lives with her. How old is she, I wonder? Eda and her husband moved from Italy in 1949. The were one of the first people in the 'Hood. Not sure when her husband died.... but I can't get over the fact that her mom is still around. Gardening, walking around the neighbourhood - albeit, with a cane. She doesn't speak English, but she stops and chats nonetheless. (Kind of like my Lei Lei.... doesn't speak english either, but yatters away to me nonetheless. When the mood strikes her, that is.)

Eda saw me on my back patio and hailed me over with a wave. And proceeded to give me strawberry plants for my garden. Lovely woman. She's ALWAYS working in her garden. Just delightful.

Across the ally is Martin and Michelle. A chinese couple. No kids that I can see. Probably in their 40's (it is very hard to tell the age of Asian people... they look younger than they are. I'm speaking from my own personal experience, having married into an Asian family). I have not met Michelle, just Martin as we were both in our back yards doing work on the lawn. He apologized for the state of his fence (seeing as it's pretty much laying in the alley) and that he's not a messy or neglectful neighbour, just waiting for the insurance company to show up.

West of Martin and Michelle are the people I first met. Don't know their names yet, only wave from the patio so far and comment on the weather. They come and go ALOT. Seriously. Not sure what they do for a living, but they are always coming and going.

On the other side of me is a house under construction. Apparently, from speaking with yet another neighbour that lives a street up, it's been a work-in-progress for over a year. I finally met the owner, Steve, last week. Another chinese couple, not married. I thought perhaps he was in his 20's, but I think probably mid-30's. His girlfriend's name is Christine. They are putting up the fence because they have a dog. "He's friendly, really friendly, just a yappy doberman. And we need the fence to keep him away from other animals."

Great, I have two cats. Great, just great.

There are also woodpeckers, bald eagles, racoons and coyotes. Must keep my eye out for the coyotes... especially as one of my cats goes outdoors.

So, these are the people in my neighbourhood.

I wonder what they think of me as the only time they see me is when I'm having a ciggie and a beer on the patio.

PS: Two steps closer. And it was Fan-Tastic morning sex...

Urs.

No comments: