Thursday, December 6, 2007

Grief?

So now that The Husband is gone back to work, life feels less like a vacation and more like unemployement.

He stayed home for two days with me and we just bitched about being let go, bitched about the company, bitched about certain people there, slept in, had long leisurely breakfasts, enjoyed the sunny weather, that sort of thing. (Editor's note... "WE" didn't so much bitch... HE did. Me? I'm happy as a clam to have been let go. Him? He's happy too, but he's milking it to the company right now... "How can you be so heartless as to let someone go right before Christmas?" And, "You all ruined my life!". Oh, and then there's the, "We just bought a house. We just bought a car. You all are SCREWING us!". He's just ranting, as only he can do.)

However... now that he's gone back to work, I'm left with feeling a bit lost. I have LOTS to do (relatives in town, having them for dinner each night, sightseeing, yada yada yada), but don't really feel like doing anything.

Went to have my car detailed earlier thismorning. Having lunch in a few minutes. Going for groceries after that. Have a cranial-sacral late afternoon. Picking up my aunt after that to bring her back to the house for dinner.... the list goes on. But yet I feel a bit, uh, lost.

Apparently losing a job is traumatic. Also, apparently, you've got to grieve it. And grieve it properly so you can move on. There are 5 steps to grief, so I've been told. (I haven't been told what they are, just that there are 5 steps. I wish I had have been told this when we lost the last baby. That may have saved me 4.5 months of hell. However, I digress....)

Googling the 5 steps of grief... brb...

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

(details here)

But what about joy? I'm practically joyful about it. I had wanted to leave for a long time, but I didn't have the nerve. I was too afraid. I was comfortable there. I knew what to expect. I knew how to handle the corporate bullshit (ie: ignore and get on with things).

Or am I just in the first stage... denial?

Urs.

No comments: